The Communications & Marketing Manager will develop and implement the strategy in collaboration with the Executive Director and Lung Cancer Initiative (LCINC) staff for all external communications, website, social media and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the LCINC’s mission and brand. This individual will support external relations for the organization including representation with community groups and other key networking opportunities.
• Demonstrate understanding of LCINC mission and activities such that the individual can represent the organization and brand with internal and external audiences
• Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan to include events, programs and corporate strategy and goals
• Implement a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow the LCINC executive director and board leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, external audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers
• Serve as the brand manager for all LCINC collateral to ensure continuity of brand across all mediums including grassroots events in regional communities. Ensure articulation of LCINC’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout LCINC, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external
• Develop and manage marketing and communications budget
• Staff lead for the LCINC Marketing Committee including Board of Directors representatives and other community leaders
• Lead the generation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate
• Design and implement communications vehicles to create momentum and awareness with defined metrics of success
• Manage development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, and the organization’s website
• Oversee web and social media content maintenance, and ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly
• Develop and manage all media contacts and exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, presentations and other supporting material as needed
• Serve as lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization and actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the sector, as well as the LCINC’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects
• Manage relationships with any communications-related vendors or consultants
• Liaison with communications contacts at LCINC’s partner institutions for collaborative communications opportunities
• Recruit and manage a communications support team, including board, intern and volunteer talent, to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
• Represent LCINC at community events including health fairs, educational programs, corporate events
• Other duties as assigned
• Report to Executive Director
• Participate in/ report to (as needed) LCINC Board of Directors and meetings
• Supervise marketing and communications interns and volunteers
The Lung Cancer Initiative of North Carolina is seeking a Communications & Marketing Manager who has at least 3-5 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” role within a complex (number and variety of constituents) nonprofit entity, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge, transform it into exciting and useful messages, and customize it for key audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
• Bachelor’s Degree (journalism, marketing, public relations and/or communications preferred)
• Experience managing and executing across several communications media
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• Experience with emerging marketing tools (social media, customer relationship marketing) preferred
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required
• Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, preferred
• Ability to execute daily tasks and work independently
• Willingness to share own ideas, even amongst senior staff and board members
• Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
• A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
• Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
• High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
• Exceptional verbal communications and professionalism in high-pressure situations
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Office hours: 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
• Occasional evenings and weekends will be required
LCINC is pleased to offer health benefits, life insurance, disability, in addition to generous vacation and holidays.
Send Resume and Cover Letter to: PHumble@LungCancerInitiativeNC.org by March 31.
No Phone Calls Please