Employment & Internship Opportunities
Communications & Development Specialist
In collaboration with leaders from across Lung Cancer Initiative (LCI), the Communications & Development Specialist will execute an integrated strategic communications plan to support and advance LCI’s brand, inspire supporters, engage constituents and assist in achieving LCI’s development goals. This individual will be positive, entrepreneurial, and collaborative as a member of a small staff who interacts regularly with leaders and volunteers from across North Carolina.
- Demonstrate understanding of LCI mission and activities such that the individual positively represents the organization and brand with internal and external audiences
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and senior leadership, develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan to achieve LCI’s development, programs, awareness and events goals
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and senior leadership, develop and manage the annual marketing and communications budget
- Manage and provide rich content targeted to strategic audiences for all LCI social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn pages and establish benchmarks for success
- Serve as staff liaison for the LCI Marketing Committee including Board of Directors representatives and other community leaders
- Develop, distribute and maintain all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, flyers, annual report, e-newsletters, and the organization’s website
- Develop compelling content through “storytelling” for LCI’s many media channels to engage supporters and advocate for the cause
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and senior leadership, develop targeted fundraising appeals and stewardship communications to key audiences through the strategic use of the CRM database
- Participate in key event committee meetings and provide marketing and communications support to signature events including the LUNGe Forward 5K race series, Evening of Hope Gala, Annual Meeting and Advocacy Summit
- Develop and cultivate media contacts; prepare press releases, talking points, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Manage relationships with communications-related vendors or consultants
- Liaison with communications contacts at LCI’s partner health systems and other institutions for collaborative communications opportunities
- Collaborate with a communications support team, including board, intern and volunteer talent, to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Represent LCI at community events including health fairs, educational programs, corporate events
- Serve as key point of contact for photography and videography at all major LCI events and programs
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree (journalism, marketing, public relations and/or communications preferred)
- 1 to 2 years of progressively responsible experience in relevant communications work
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Professionalism in high-pressure situations
- Proven attention to detail, editing and project management skills
- The highest integrity and sensitivity to confidential business-related information
- Experience with emerging marketing tools (social media, customer relationship marketing), required
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, required
- Experience with Raisers Edge NXT and Online Express, preferred
- Photography, video production and editing skills are a plus
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Ability to prioritize and follow through effectively
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to "manage by influence"
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, program participants, and other supporters
- Office hours: 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Occasional evenings and weekends required
- Occasional travel required
Please submit a resume, cover letter and two writing samples via email to email@example.com. Please include Communications and Development Specialist, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your email message. Applications will be accepted through Friday, August 2.
Volunteer and Internship Positions
Public Health/Programs Intern
The Public Health/Programs intern will assist with the planning and implementation of programs and events that support lung cancer research and education. This includes outreach in the community by connecting patients, survivors and loved ones with the medical and research community as well as education tools and access programs across North Carolina. Interns work closely with the Director of Programs in coordination with local lung cancer survivors and advocates, corporations and health systems in seasonal health fairs and educational seminars. Some intern tasks include:
- Finding and attending local health fairs to distribute free educational materials and increase lung cancer awareness
- Managing the Access to Care Gas Card program database including reviewing applications, inputting data and distributing of gas cards.
- Assisting in planning and implementation of educational events such as the LCINC Annual Meeting, Expert Speakers Series and Survivors Day event.
Apply now by emailing your cover letter and resume to Jenni Danai at firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing & Communications Intern
The Communications & Marketing Intern will gain knowledge and experience for how nonprofits are able to use marketing and communications strategies to positively impact the lives of people who are affected by lung cancer in North Carolina. The intern will use various tools and platforms to communicate with our advocates in collaboration with the Manager of Marketing & Communications. This internship is ideal for a candidate who has an interest in marketing, communications, public relations and/or non-profit management. Some intern tasks include:
- Assisting with the creation of communications materials--press releases, blog posts, e-blasts, social media posts including Facebook and Twitter
- Helping pitch LCINC story ideas and build relationships with local media
- Supporting LCINC social networking activities (Facebook, Twitter, blog)
- Additional administrative assistance as needed
Apply now by emailing your cover letter and resume to Megan Snowdowne at email@example.com
Events and Development Intern
The Events/Development intern will work closely with the Manager of Development & Special Events to support important fundraising events including the LUNGe Forward 5K Run, Walk & Rally for Raleigh, Charlotte, and Greensboro, the Evening of Hope Gala, and more. Interns will also play an important role in helping the Lung Cancer Initiative acknowledge gifts and contributions as a part of our fundraising events.
- Assisting with volunteer recruitment and management.
- Providing event information and registration instructions to participants calling the Lung Cancer Initiative office.
- Assisting with the collection and management of silent and live auction items for the Evening of Hope Gala.
- Data entry and management.
- Providing support to event planning committees and attending events.
Apply now by emailing your cover letter and resume to Sandy Oehler at firstname.lastname@example.org
Internship Opportunities: Operational Support
Interns will also support the Executive Director on special ongoing projects including managing, recruiting, and working with volunteers for our volunteer program and meeting material preparation for key meetings and events.
Apply now by emailing your cover letter and resume to Paige Humble at email@example.com
Strong internship candidates will have the following:
- Self-motivation, willingness to work as a strong team player with the ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible, and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills, with keen attention to details, as well as excellent problem solving abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Moderate experience working with social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, Twitter).
- Have self-discipline and time management skills necessary to work independently.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel.
- Have regular and consistent computer and internet access, including the ability to work online.
- Possess a valid driver’s license as well as the ability to travel as needed to perform internship duties.
- Currently be working toward a degree at a university, college, or trade school, in a related field.
- At least a sophomore class standing/ranking, with a minimum 3.0GPA/4.0 scale.
This internship is open to all majors with an emphasis on Nonprofit Management, Public Health, Fundraising, Event Planning, Business Administration, Operations Management, and Project Management.
The positions are unpaid internships with the potential to receive academic credit. The opportunity is based in Raleigh, NC.
This is an excellent opportunity for a dedicated student who is looking for hands-on experience in a fast-paced and growing organization and who is considering a career in fundraising, health care and/or the non-profit sector.
Ability to stand and/or work on a computer for long periods of time; walk up and down stairs multiple times throughout the day; and lift at least 25 pounds.
Work Schedule/Time Commitment: Flexible schedule with the ability to work evenings and weekends as needed, approximately 15-20 hours/week, with exact days and times to be determined according to your school schedule.